Marc and Greg review Episode 2 of Season 2: The Depths. Plus, our Voltron Fan Spotlight is on Nami. And we preview New York Toy Fair, with some pictures taken by our on-the-spot-reporter, Sarah Fetter. More info on NYTF coming soon, but the big news concerns Season 3, and how many seasons we may get at a minimum.
Let's keep going with New York Toy Fair, which took place in New York City, from February 18-21. We have some exclusive pics taken by Sarah Fetter, who was on our 3rd Anniversary podcast previously at LetsVoltron.com/82. These pics are directly from the Playmates Toys Booth at NYTF, which was showing prototypes of Wave 2 toys from the Voltron Legendary Defender line of toys, as well as the existing Wave 1 line.
The key news takeaways from Sarah's visit involved what will be occurring later this year. A card on the wall gave important information about what's to come for Voltron Legendary Defender:
1. Voltron Legendary Defender is a key element of Netflix's push for original family content. Currently, the commitment is to 78 episodes total. Who knows? If this becomes the Juggernaut we hope it becomes, there may be contract extensions which add episodes to this commitment. It all depends on how well the merchandise surrounding the show sells.
2. 26 episodes were scheduled for 2017. The first 13 (Season 2) were released on Netflix on January 20th. Season 3 is expected in September 2017. No specific date has been set.
3. Netflix will be debuting 10 Episodes of Classic Voltron in March, with new content added. Speculation is running rampant on this, and we will get more information on this as it becomes available. This is exciting to see!
4. Additional Second Screen content will be provided before Easter, with additional content occurring throughout the summer of 2017. We're not sure, but this could mean a tablet/smartphone app or other content accessed by a website. Just guessing.
5. Finally, cross-category marketing events will be occurring throughout the year, including a Burger King kids meal promotion. Can't wait to see Voltron Legendary Defender everywhere we go!
Now, with that exciting news, comes the pics of a new wave of Playmates Toys Voltron Legendary Defender items, including the 5 Paladins in their uniforms, where the helmets actually come off, and they include bayard accessories (Shiro has his purple hand). Other basic figures are Emperor Zarkon and the Robeast from both Seasons 1 and 2 on the Balmera. Die-Cast lions will be available, which combine into an 8-inch Die-Cast Voltron. And Mega Lions will be available with Pilot figures that sit in the cockpit. These included pilot figures have helmets that do not come off. It looks like Red and Blue Lions will be available first, with additional Lions available later. This wave of toys is expected in the Fall of 2017, in time for Christmas.
Here are those exclusive pics from Sarah Fetter. Thank you, Sarah!
In this podcast, Marc and Greg review Episode 2 from Season 2, The Depths. This episode, which stars Lance and Hunk and a number of mermaids, sees our heroes trying to get back to the Castleship after falling to the depths of an ocean on a distant planet, only to get caught up in a mermaid adventure that sees Hunk and Lance in a very precarious situation.
Here are some screenshots from this episode:
For this podcast, our Voltron Fan Spotlight is Nami. Nami is on Twitter at (@NSamhade) Thank you, Nami, for sharing your Voltron Voice Meme with Voltron fans everywhere.
And don't forget to enter our Voltron Retro Commercial Sweepstakes - details are at LetsVoltron.com/85
Thanks for Listening! Let's Voltron!!